Monday, November 11, 2013

Harry Potter, Harry Potter, Ooo Harry Potter

Saturday night, one of my school's organizations hosted a Harry Potter trivia night. Of course, I did my nails for good luck, and it totally worked-- I won! (It could also be due to the fact that I've dedicated a large chunk of my life to reading and watching Harry Potter, but I prefer to think the nails brought me good luck.)


Weirdly enough, I actually prefer my right hand for this mani. I hadn't quite perfected my striping technique on my left hand, and I was way too lazy to redo it. Also, I'm such a Harry Potter nerd that I did the houses in order of how much I like them. I started with my own house (Slytherin 4 Lyfe), followed by Hufflepuff, and so on and so forth. Yes, Gryffindor is my least favorite; sorry, not sorry. 


For all of my nails, I started with the metallic color (or yellow, in Hufflepuff's case), and let them dry completely before placing my striping tape. Then, I did the color one nail at a time, taking the tape off as I went. My thumb has a free handed lightening bolt. 

Slytherin: Sinful Colors San Francisco over Essie No PLace Like Chrome
Hufflepuff: OPI Baby It's Coal Outside over Sally Hansen Lightening
Ravenclaw: OPI Into the Night over Essie Penny Talk
Gryffindor: Sally Hansen Red Carpet over Revlon Golden
Thumb: Revlon Celestial Fix over Revlon Spirit with Claire's Nail Art Pen 
Everything topped with Sally Hansen Dries Instantly

I seriously LOVED having this on my nails, but there were a few things that bothered me. First, my "bronze" for Ravenclaw came out a bit pinker than I would have liked. Second, the green I used was pretty terrible quality (it was the only option that fit, color wise) so the top coat made it streak which gave the silver a bit of a yellowish tint. Gross. Lastly, while I adore the stars and moons on my thumb, there were also little bits of glitter that mostly just looked like bubbles over the white. 

Here's my right hand with the iffy striping technique:


Overall, I love love loved these nails. Anything Harry Potter themed is an A+ in my book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment